Oakland Cemetery began in 1866 as the Yonkers Cemetery Association. with land originally donated by Frederik Philipse in 1750. The land was donated as a glebe (See “The Glebe” Historical Marker) apparently for use and benefit of the local parish and priest. The land changed hands a few times before it was finally named a cemetery.
The name was apparently not changed changed to Oakland Cemetery until 1878 ..
The first burial in Oakland Cemetery was recorded on September 2, 1867.
Today, a stroll through the cemetery’s 51 beautifully landscaped acres stirs memorable thoughts as the headstones of Oakland Cemetery chronicle not only the history of Yonkers but of our Country as well. – From Oakland Cemetery Website
Inside Oakland Cemetery you will find St Johns Cemetery, a small section with its own wooden front gate off of Saw Mill River Rd. . There doesn’t appear to be a discernible boundary between St John’s and Oakland inside the cemetery, from what I have seen.
Oakland Cemetery Front Gate 2018
St. John’s Cemetery Gate in Yonkers
A New York State Historic Marker (state education department) , dated 1936, reads ” St. John’s first public burial ground in Yonkers -About 1783. Graves of Soldiers of Revolution and later wars ; also settlers of Yonkers.
St. John’s Cemetery Historic Marker 2018
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Valentine Homestead Historical Marker , NYS Dept of Education 1936 and Stone Tablet/Memorial erected by The Keskeskick Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution and Yonkers Branch of The Westchester Historical Society 1930. “Gen. George Washington during the American Revolution frequently made his headquarters at the Valentine Homestead which stood One Hundred and Fifty Feet back of this tablet” The Read more...
New York State Education Department Historical marker dated 1936. Found on the edge (Saw Mill River Rd Side ) of Oakland Cemetery. Reads: “Site of The Glebe 125 east of this spot stood St. John’s Rectory, 1770 -1845 given by Frederick Philipse 1751. Scene of Skirmishes 1778.” Yonkers, NY – Westchester County Read more...